The Long Read

Everything you *need to know* is right above this. Scroll down, only if you'd still like to read more (honestly, why?)

No, you cannot make your same-sex partner your term insurance nominee. Here’s why:

  • You need to be able to prove their insurable interest in you to your life insurance company

  • This means you must prove that your partner is financially dependent on you and your sudden demise will create a lot of financial crisis for them

  • It’s extremely difficult to do that in the absence of a legal relationship like marriage or business partnership

Good news! Yes, you can because when there’s a Will, there’s a way, pun intended!

Here’s what you can do:

  • Make your parents, or children the nominee

  • Then, create a Will

  • Mention in your will that your nominee is only a recipient

  • Clearly state your partner’s final and indisputable right to receive the money


Pro tip: Register your Will to avoid any legal disputes between your nominee and your partner.

This will of course vary on a case-by-case basis. Talk to your legal counsel for guidance.